Erin M. Jacobson is a practicing attorney, an experienced deal negotiator, and a seasoned advisor of intellectual property rights who protects musicians, songwriters, music publishers, record labels, and a wide variety of other music and entertainment professionals. Ms. Jacobson’s clients include Grammy and Emmy Award winners, legacy artists, and independent artists and companies. Ms. Jacobson regularly handles all types of agreements within the music industry, with an emphasis on music publishing and licensing.
Ms. Jacobson also places special emphasis on her work with legacy clients and their catalogues, as her knowledge of both classic music and current industry practices places her in a unique position to protect and maximize opportunities for older catalogues.
She is a frequent author and speaker, and has been featured in publications including Forbes and Music Connection, in addition to blogging regularly about music industry issues. She also is on the Board of Directors for both the California Copyright Conference (CCC) and the Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP).
She has previously held positions at BUG Music and other music publishing companies, as well as several boutique music law firms where she handled many music transactional matters. Before pursuing law, she worked in the publicity department of Capitol Records, as Director of Promotions for AO Recordings, and with Rick Dees on The Weekly Top 40 Countdown.
Ms. Jacobson also the owner and founder of Indie Artist Resource, the independent musician’s resource for legal and business protection. Indie Artist Resource offers full-service template contracts, intellectual property registration services, and legal and business consultations designed to meet the unique needs of independent musicians who need legal assistance but are not yet ready to add a lawyer to their teams.
Her favorite part of being an attorney is working with and counseling her talented clients. When not working, she enjoys live music and is an artist and jewelry designer.
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- Please see Services for more information
- California Copyright Conference, Board of Directors
- Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP), Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries
- The Recording Academy, Los Angeles Chapter
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Southwestern Law School Alumni Association
- Southwestern Law School
- Juris Doctor
- Course emphasis in music and entertainment law
- Affiliations and Activities:
- Student Liaison – ABA Forum Committee on Entertainment and Sports Industries Law
- President – Entertainment and Sports Law Society
- Student Liaison – Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Contributing Writer – The Commentator
- Member – Intellectual Property Law Society
- University of Southern California
- B.A. in Psychology, Minor in Music Industry
- cum laude
- Dean’s List
- Affiliations and Activities:
- Disc Jockey – KSCR (with station’s highest-rated weekly radio show)
- Contributing Writer – Bandwidth
- Member – Audio Engineering Society
- Girls Love Mail
- Tower Cancer Research Foundation
- NET Research Foundation
- City of Hope – Future Hope, a division of The Music and Entertainment Industry Group