Erin has substantial experience conversing on these topics and bringing her fresh perspective to diverse audiences.
Please view the information below for suggested platforms, topics, and past speaking engagements.
Contact Erin for Speaking Inquiries:
Please contact Erin to discuss your speaking engagement or learn about availability.
- Solo speaking or as a panelist
- Live, in person appearances (currently on hold)
- Online television or other presentations
- Interviews and commentary for print publications
- How to Protect and Revitalize Legacy Catalogues
- Copyright Terminations / Recapturing of copyrights for legacy artists, songwriters, heirs and estates
- Issues unique to legacy catalogues, heirs, and estates
- Issues unique to music publishers
- Legal and business issues faced by independent musicians
- Setting up your business and managing your intellectual property correctly for DIY/independent musicians
- The most important protections for independent musicians to have in place
- Contract explanations and pitfalls for musicians
- The importance of owning intellectual property for musicians
- Music library contracts
- Music licensing
Past Speaking Engagements
- Nightline on ABC
- Business Daily, BBC World Service, BBC News
- Sirius/XM Radio
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM)
- Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP)
- American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers (ASMAC)
- California Copyright Conference (CCC)
- TAXI Music Road Rally
- Southwestern Law School
- University of Southern California
- GRAMMY Camp / GRAMMY Foundation
- My Music Masterclass
- The Gen Y Success Show (Online / iTunes)
- Break the Business Podcast
- ACPG Podcast (Part 1 / Part 2)
- The GenWhy Lawyer Podcast
- Entertainment Law Update Podcast
- The Business Side of Music Podcast
- UCLA Extension
- Trojan Entertainment Network
Erin M. Jacobson is a practicing attorney, experienced deal negotiator, and a seasoned advisor of intellectual property rights who protects musicians, songwriters, music publishers, and a wide variety of other music professionals.
Ms. Jacobson’s clients include Grammy and Emmy Award winners, legacy artists and catalogues, heirs and estates, and independent artists and companies. Ms. Jacobson regularly handles all types of agreements within the music industry, with an emphasis on music publishing, licensing, and catalogue acquisitions. In addition, she is one of the leading attorneys on copyright recapture and termination issues.
Ms. Jacobson also places special emphasis on her work with legacy clients and their catalogues, as her knowledge of both classic music and current industry practices places her in a unique position to protect and revitalize older catalogues.
Ms. Jacobson has been named as one of the “Top Music Lawyers” by Billboard, as well as a Super Lawyers Rising Star and one of the Top Women Attorneys in Southern California. In addition, Ms. Jacobson is a frequent author and speaker, and has been featured in publications including Billboard and Forbes, and on networks including ABC and the BBC. She also serves on the Board of Directors for the Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP).
Ms. Jacobson is the author of the book, Don’t Get Screwed! How to Protect Yourself as an Independent Musician. She also founded and owns Indie Artist Resource, the independent musician’s resource for legal and business protection. Indie Artist Resource offers templates for agreements most needed by independent musicians, as well as a variety of educational materials to empower independent musicians to make informed decisions about their careers.
More information on Ms. Jacobson and her law practice in Beverly Hills, CA can be found at www.themusicindustrylawyer.com.
Indie Artist Resource can be found at www.indieartistresource.com.